SUSS Abdominal Trauma Grand Rounds
Sydney University Surgical Society is pleased to host Abdominal Trauma Surgical Grand Rounds.
Dr Jeremy Hsu will present his perspectives as a trauma surgeon, discussing several cases.
Dr Hsu is the Director of Trauma at Westmead Hospital. He is a general surgeon with subspecialty training in trauma/surgical critical care as well as breast cancer surgery. Dr Hsu graduated from Sydney University in 2002 and completed his basic surgical training in Sydney. He undertook a fellowship at Harborview Medical Centre in Seattle, Washington, USA, in trauma/surgical critical care. Following this, he completed a breast cancer surgery fellowship at the Westmead Breast Cancer Institute.
Apart from clinical practice, Dr Hsu also holds a clinical academic appointment at the University of Sydney.
This event will be particularly relevant to Stage 2 students in Gastroenterology block; however, students from all stages and clinical schools are welcome.
Please RSVP via our Facebook Event
SUSS Sharpy’s Surgical Revision Day 2017
Anyone with an interest in surgery is welcome, however, stage 3 students will be given preference.
When: 2 September at 8:00–16:00
Where: KPEC Auditorium, RPAH
In previous years, this has been highly attended event and registration is essential to secure a place: https://goo.gl/forms/
SUMS and SUSS Present: The Great Debate
SUMS and SUSS are proud to be hosting the ultimate medical turf war, pitching six of Sydney’s brightest minds against one another with the hopes of answering medicine’s eternal question: Which specialty is better, surgery or medicine?
The topic up for debate is “To Cut Is To Cure”, with the surgeons arguing the affirmative and physicians arguing the negative. The winning team will be decided by audience vote, so we’re anticipating (and encouraging) plenty of light-hearted banter between the two teams.
DEBATORS – PHYSICIANS:
– Professor Jane Bleasel, Co-Director of the Sydney Medical Program and Senior Staff Specialist (Rheumatology) at RPAH
– Professor John Watson, Associate Dean and Head of the SAN Clinical School, Director of Neurology and Stroke Services at Hornsby and Ku-Ring-Gai Hospital and Rhodes Scholar
– Professor David Celermajer AO, Clinical Director of the Heart Research Institute, Senior Staff Specialisty (Cardiology) at RPAH, Rhodes Scholar and World Debating and Public Speaking Champion
DEBATORS – SURGEONS:
– Professor Henry Pleass, Senior Staff Specialist at Westmead Hospital and VMO Liver Transplant Surgeon at RPAH
– Dr Sarah Aitken, Vascular Surgeon at Concord Hospital
– Associate Professor Jonathon Clark, Head and Neck Surgeon at RPAH and Chris O’Brien Lifehouse and Coordinator of the Sydney Head and Neck Research Group
Food and refreshments will be provided from 6.30pm. Entry is a gold coin donation, being collected at the door to be donated to the Black Dog Institute on behalf of the winning team.
Please RSVP at the Facebook event.